The countdown has begun. How many weeks, days, hours, minutes until summer vacation? Springtime, especially for for teachers, requires an extra effort to keep the focus of a roomful of students. Plans of gardening, traveling, reading, and resting for the summer dance in the heads of teachers. The days drag when our minds are elsewhere, and it can be so difficult to stay present to what is happening.
Portland Mindfulness invites teachers and school personnel to give yourselves (and your students) the gift of mindfulness this summer. In appreciation for what you do, we offer a 20% discount on our 8-week Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) class for school personnel.
Whether you work for a school or not, in the spaciousness of your summer, there is no reason not to commit wholeheartedly to your own mindfulness practice.
Although we can learn and teach about our brains and how they work, mindfulness is not an intellectual concept. It is sensing our own aliveness, experiencing the constant arising of each moment, and the uniqueness of each of our sensory experiences. In her book Mindful Teaching and Teaching Mindfulness, Deborah Schoberlein lists some benefits of mindfulness training, which are applicable to everyone:
- Improves focus and awareness
- Increases responsiveness to students‘ needs
- Promotes emotional balance
- Supports stress management and stress reduction
- Supports healthy relationships at work and home
- Enhances classroom climate
- Supports overall well-being
- Supports “readiness to learn”
- Promotes academic performance
- Strengthens attention and concentration
- Reduces anxiety before testing
- Promotes self-reflection and self-calming
- Improves classroom participation by supporting impulse control
- Provides tools to reduce stress
- Fosters pro-social behaviors and healthy relationships
This summer, along with your tomatoes and flowers, we invite you to cultivate your own mindful presence.
How do I get started? Come to either of two free (required) orientations to MBSR: June 6th or June 13th from 6:30 – 8pm (give us a call or email, and let us know you’re coming).
Summer MBSR class lasts 8 weeks, each Wednesday 6:30 – 8:30 from June 20th to August 15th (skipping July 4th). MBSR also includes a Day-long Retreat Saturday August 4th from 9 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Check out our other mindfulness classes this summer.
CONTACT US: 503-222-2361 or firstname.lastname@example.org